Wednesday, January 11, 2012

1,001 Albums [I] Must Hear before [I] Die: 12

Palo Congo - Sabu

Ah, a chance to redeem myself and my latin jazz credibility after the last album review. This one I actually know!

While I've only heard Sabu a few times, and don't own any of his records, if you're a jazz fan, and have even a passing knowledge of latin jazz you've probably heard at least one of his songs.

This is yet another record you can't sit still while listening to. The grooves are hypnotic and seep into your brain. I found myself at times almost in a trance, which I suppose is an intended effect of the music.

Unlike "Kenya" by Machito, which was a big-band record in essence, the instrumentation on "Palo Congo" is sparse aside from the percussion, and this one also has vocals throughout the record, while the former album was purely instrumental.

Aside from the hard-grooving syncopated percussion, another thing I find noteworthy is the guitar playing from Cuban instrumentalist/composer Arsenio Rodriguez, whose tone, note-selection, and phrasing is immaculate (something about his playing reminds me a bit of Marc Ribot - perhaps Ribot was influenced by Rodriguez?).

I found the track "Asabache" to be particularly enjoyable, as it is entirely percussion, dropping the bass, guitar and vocals that accompany the master congueros on much of the rest of the record. (Warning: the following statement is purely opinion!): I personally feel that it is particularly difficult to make drums sound musical when unaccompanied. It seems pretty easy for the final product to simply sound like banging, to me at least. These master percussionists have no problem making totally enjoyable, tasteful music simply banging on some tightly-stretched animal skins attached to wooden bowls. I think that's pretty cool.

I am certainly happy that this project has put Sabu and this record back on my radar. If you like latin jazz at all, this is required listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment