Tuesday, January 10, 2012

1,001 Albums [I] Must Hear before [I] Die: 8

Birth of the Cool - Miles Davis

Anyone who knows me probably also knows that my favorite musician of all time is Miles Davis. If you look up the word "iconoclastic" in the dictionary, one of the definitions is "Miles Davis". The master trumpeter and jazz composer is credited with having pioneered approximately thirteen different genres of jazz! Most musicians would be content with being associated with one genre - to pioneer thirteen is mind-boggling - but that's what makes Miles Davis so incredibly special.

Lisa Simpson's all-time favorite record, "The Birth of the Cool", according to Miles Davis' autobiography, was inspired by the fact that, while he loved the Be-Bop he was playing at the time, he couldn't walk down the street arm-in-arm with his girlfriend whistling the bombastic melodies which were characteristic of the genre - he needed sweeter, more melodic tunes for that. Thus, "Birth of the Cool".

While this is not the first album I have reviewed for this project that I had heard before, this is the first album I'm reviewing that I know well, which I have listened to repeatedly, and even studied a bit. I will admit that this is far from my favorite Miles Davis record (that honor goes to either "Sorcerer" or "Live at the Filmore East - It's About that Time" - I can't decide which, and please don't make me even try to) there is a reason this one is considered a classic and is so highly regarded. It is a truly groundbreaking, revolutionary record, and the musicianship is extraordinary. This is also, I believe (please correct me if I'm wrong), the first time Miles Davis ever collaborated with arranger Gil Evans, a partnership which would continue to create classics and redefine jazz for years to come. The album also features Max Roach, a favorite drummer of just about anyone who has ears, and his playing is as inspired as ever.

This is an album that need not be recommended, since, if you like jazz at all, you've probably already heard it. If you haven't heard it yet, I simply feel bad for you.

P.S. - I could listen to this recording of "Darn That Dream" on repeat for an hour or so, but I have 993 more records to listen to, so I won't. On to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment