Tuesday, January 10, 2012

1,001 Albums [I] Must Hear before [I] Die: 9

The Atomic Mr. Basie (aka - E=MC2: The Complete Atomic Basie) - Count Basie

One classic jazz record after another - man was this project a good decision!

This is another record I have heard several times before doing these reviews, and it's one I have enjoyed every time I've listened to it.

While I am not as big of a Count Basie fan as I am a Miles Davis fan, Basie and his Orchestra certainly were no slouches. The unique combination of Eddie Jones on upright bass, Freddie Green on guitar, and Sonny Payne on drums made for, in my opinion, the tightest, hardest swinging, all around coolest rhythm section in all of big band jazz, ever. And, the horns... I have no words.

Again, this is not my favorite record from this group. I do think that "Basie Straight Ahead" is far superior, but that album is, sadly not on the list - this is the one deemed a "must" hear - and I won't complain, since this record is also really really cool.

If you like jazz, particularly big-band, you'll like this a lot - but, again, I would recommend "Basie Straight Ahead" over this to anybody looking for a Count Basie Orchestra album to listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment